Thursday, April 21, 2011

Artichokes

So, yesterday, my cooking class suggested to me that we work with artichokes next week. They told me that they are intimidated by artichokes (the real deal, not the "hearts-in-a-jar" stuff), and I realized that I myself have not dabbled much in the world of artichoke cooking. I know you can steam them and dip the leaves in butter and scrape off the meaty flesh (drool...), but that's my extent of artichoke knowledge.

Here's what I think I'll try next week. It will be a learning experience for all of us:

Garlic Sauteed Artichokes
Ingredients:
2 large fresh artichokes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butta

Directions:
  1. Rinse artichokes under cold water, and use a sharp knife to cut the top 1/3 off of each one. Trim the stems to about 1 inch, and remove the smaller leaves from around the base. Use scissors to remove any remaining leaf tips. Cut each artichoke in half from the bottom to the top, then use a spoon to scrape out the hairy choke. Rinse again to remove any residual hairs.
  2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and saute for about 1 minute to flavor the butter. Arrange artichoke halves cut-side down in the skillet. Saute for about 5 or 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low, and pour in about 1/4 cup of water, cover, and let steam for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the artichokes are tender. A fork should easily pierce the stem.
Let's see if I can pull it off. Anyone else have suggestions for handling artichokes?



Artichokes offer lots of potassium, folate, vitamin C, and fiber (and virtually no calories - 25 calories per 1 whole artichoke!). Also, a little bird told me that artichokes can cure hangovers, but I can't say for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment