Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Homemade Pasta!


A couple of nights ago, I tried my hand at making pasta noodles from scratch for the first time. It was a success, I think? I mean, they tasted freakin' good. The noodles didn't exactly look like the spaghetti noodles you buy at the store, but tasted delicious with my veggie and tomato sauce.

If you're feeling adventurous, I suggest you try making your own homemade pasta. It's almost too easy and all you need is flour and eggs.

Noodles
Ingredients: (makes 2 servings)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
A few drops of water if necessary

Directions:
Combine flour and egg in a mixing bowl. Mix together to form a thick dough. Add a little water to make the dough a little stickier and knead-able if you need it. When dough is formed, roll out very thin with a rolling pin. If the dough is wet, sprinkle with flour and let dry for a few minutes. Then roll up the thin dough like a jelly roll, and cut it into 1/2 inch (width-wise) noodles. Drop them in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until tender (but still a little chewy).

I didn't unwrap the rolls when i put them into the boiling water, so my pasta was more like spiral-y fettucini noodles. You might try unwrapping them first, or making different cuts in your dough to produce different pasta shapes. I'd also like to try whole-wheat flour next time! Have fun!!

I also found this article recently because my roommate is addicted to Diet Pepsi. They line our refrigerator door and it is always fully stocked. I know there are tons more Diet Soda Addicts out there, and if you are one, check this out... you might be surprised.

http://us.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/diet.soda.health/index.html

2 comments:

  1. You should try using Semolina Flour. It's what Italians use. You'll find the results are better.

    ReplyDelete