Thursday, September 22, 2011

1 yummy way to use up your wilting greens

My roommates came home with about 5 lbs of greens the other day - swiss chard, kale, bok choy, salad greens, you name it. Holy moly, is the garden producing or what?




Our ever-busy lives caused the greens to start wilting in the fridge, so I decided to do something about it. That something was Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew with Garbanzo Beans.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne (I quadrupled this because I love the heat)
3 14-oz cans of veggie broth
1 large bunch of swiss chard, chopped, with stalks and stems removed
1 pound red lentils
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
Plain yogurt (optional)

Directions:
Heat olive oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add curry and cayenne, broth and chard. Bring to a boil. Add lentils and garbanzos and reduce heat. Simmer until lentils are tender (about 10-20 minutes). Serve and top with yogurt if desired.

I used the chard that we had, but this stew would be great with any other green you might have lying around your house begging to be eaten.

**After making this soup, I decided it would be even better with some chicken thrown in there. So if anybody tries this idea, let me know how it goes!

2 comments: