Friday, September 30, 2011

Carrot Pumpkin Bread

Happy Friday to all!

What a cold, rainy week we've had. I don't know about you, but I kind of enjoyed it. Apart from the rain hindering my daily runs... something about the wet grey days makes me want to curl up with a book or get busy in the kitchen. We're entering the days of autumnal/orange produce... squash, pumpkin, carrots... so I figured I should make some Carrot Pumpkin Muffins, a recipe I got from the South Lansing Farmers Market this weekend. Unfortunately, after rummaging through our cupboards for a while, there were no muffin tins to be found. So, I tweaked the recipe a bit, found a loaf pan, and made...

Carrot Pumpkin Oat Walnut (and a few chocolate chips) Bread
**Keep in mind that I added ingredients that I had laying around my kitchen. Feel free to add or subtract anything you'd like in this bread... you can get creative! Also, if you have muffin tins, this recipe makes 12 muffins (bake muffins for 10-14 minutes)**

Ingredients:
1 can pumpkin puree
3 medium carrots, shredded
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup oats
a few dark chocolate chips (literally, about 8 chocolate chips because that's all I had)
1 1/2 cup whole wheat OR all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 deg F. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs and oil. Mix well and add carrots, walnuts, oats and chocolate chips.

In another medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder.

Stir the dry mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Mix thoroughly, and pour into a greased 9x3x2 loaf pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes.



By the way, I'm honored to have been mentioned in the Lansing State Journal this week for my favorite fall food (another orange one!), Pumpkin Corn Chowder. Check it out: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/99999999/LIFE05/309230026/Healthy-Meals-Recipe-Pumpkin-Corn-Chowder?odyssey=mod

No comments:

Post a Comment