Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Ultimate Egg Sandwich

I'm not a chef by any means. I enjoy being in the kitchen, trying new recipes, and eating real food that I put effort into growing and/or making... but I don't have the midas touch when it comes to whipping up a 5-star meal (thankfully, my roommates do).



There are, however, a few things I excel at (I have my mother to thank for the first 3):
1. Salsa
2. Zucchini Bread
3. Quinoa, Corn and Black Bean Salad
4. Pumpkin Corn Chowder
5. EGG SANDWICHES:

Let me tell you about my favorite breakfast item (and it doesn't come from McDonalds). Yes, I love fruit, yogurt and granola; Yes, I love a big bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and honey. But the egg sandwich is an art. It's personal. It's beautiful. It's versatile. It's tailored to your liking. Red pepper flakes. Onions. Mustard. Mayo. Ketchup. Bacon. Lettuce. Curry. Celery. Avocado. Sprouts. Tomato. Arugula. Chives. Parsley. Cilantro. Garlic. Chevre. Provolone. Cheddar. Spinach. Honey. Cashews. I'm getting carried away here, but do you see my point?











This morning I made pretty basic, quick, and LOCAL egg sammies for my roomies:
-Over-medium egg with red pepper flakes (yoke just a little runny!)
-Spring greens
-thin tomato slices
-Picante chevre
-Arizona Heat mustard
-Homemade Sourdough bread

nomnomnom. It all came from the Allen Street Farmers Market except for the mustard. Not a bad start to the day if you ask me...

Embrace the Egg Sandwich!

1 comment: